For 67 years Saint Albert the Great Church has stood in this community, dedicated to serve all people of all races. The Church was organized to serve South Los Angeles and West Compton. In 1949 the Archdiocese established St. Albert’s Catholic Church of Compton. It was first located at 152nd and Avalon, in a large garage facility. There Mass was celebrated, under Father Patrick J. Redahan, the first Pastor of St. Albert. The membership consisted of thirty families, praying together in the garage until February 1952. In 1952 the Church was erected and dedicated to St. Albert the Great by Archbishop, James Francis A. McIntyre, who later became Cardinal.